Our San Antonio, Texas, podiatrists at The Podiatry Center want to make sure that runners and joggers are fully prepared to avoid injuries and other maladies that may arise when you begin any exercise program. Some of the most common foot problems associated with jogging or running that your podiatrists in San Antonio treat include blisters, corns, calluses, athlete’s foot, shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis. Most can be avoided with proper foot hygiene, such as clean socks, dry & powdered feet, and proper fitting shoes. San Antonio, TX, podiatrists recommend several tips for runners to keep in mind this summer to help prevent the most common injuries.
- Choose properly fitted running shoes – Your San Antonio podiatrists encourage you to shop at a shoe store that caters to runners and joggers and that employs professionals trained to know exactly what type of running/jogging shoes you’ll need. Be sure your shoes are not too tight or too loose; this will help prevent toe deformities, blisters, or bunions. In addition, be sure to replace your shoes at regular intervals. Your sales person can inform you of the proper mileage that your shoes may be expected to attain.
- Warm up & and stretch – Proper stretching and warm-ups prime the muscles, ligaments, and tendons for exercise. Cold, stiff muscles are more likely to get hurt, so be sure to warm up for five minutes and then stretch, paying special attention to the calves, hamstrings, quads, and feet.
- Progress slowly into your routine – Take it slow to begin with, because doing too much too soon may lead to stressed feet and muscles.
- Mix up your exercise routine – Consider swimming, cycling, or other cardio activities that can decrease the risk of injuries from hitting the trails or pavement. Alternating your forms of exercise in this way can help contribute to your overall health.
- Visit San Antonio Podiatry Associates, P.C. – We can help get rid of corns and calluses, provide cortisone injections for heel spurs, and more. If you’re already dealing with heel pain or arch pain, we may recommend proper custom orthotics, which are widely available over the counter.
Our One Medical Park podiatry office is here for you before, during, and after your training regime. While we ultimately hope to help you avoid injuries from running, jogging, or training, we all know that no one can eliminate them entirely. Dr. Ross and your San Antonio, TX, podiatrists are here for you when you need them. If you have any questions, please request an appointment today.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our San Antonio, TX, podiatry center would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
We Are Committed To Personal Patient Care And Providing Advanced Podiatry Care For Foot and Ankle Conditions.
Our experienced San Antonio podiatrists can help you find relief for your foot, heel, or ankle pain. Patients in need of podiatry care can:
- Download our free report instantly: The Top 10 Things You Should Know When Choosing Your Podiatrist.
- Contact 210.692.0279 with questions or to schedule your appointment. Same day or next day appointments are available in our San Antonio podiatry offices.
- Use our online contact form to ask questions or address a concern.